Monday, June 3, 2013

I thought getting through school was hard.

I can't believe it's been over a year since the last time I blogged. The short synapsis is that I passed my RN test in July in 75 questions!! I injured my left knee during my final semester of nursing school. Initially we thought it was just a sprain and after two visits to doctors, conservative measures were taken to help with the problem. I spent the summer unable to walk normal or for any length of time, so I could not job hunt. We also moved from Ft. Rucker to Huntsville. When my knee didn't improve, they finally did a MRI (wierd procedure, I can appreciate why some people have a hard time with the tube.). Turns out it wasn't just a sprain but a tear in teh medial meniscus. I had a left medial meniscus repair in September 2012.  Rehabilitation took most of the fall.

I started job hunting in January. Since then I've probably filled out about 50 applications and have interviewed once.  I thought getting the job would be the easy part. Huntsville has at least two local colleges that are spitting out 90-100 nurses each semester, and all the contacts I made during my clinicals in the Dothan area are of little use to me now that I am living so far north. Sigh... Well, my plan of action now is to keep up the effort here for the rest of the summer (the time period that Paul is not off on some project or another). If I can't break into a job by August, I'm going to head back down south and hopefully use some of my contacts to start working down there. With a 12 hour shift three days a week, I think it will be worth it. I can stay with one of my daughters during my time down south to work and spend the rest of the time up here. It'd only be for a year. But I'm really hoping to find something here soon.

1 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Good luck on the local job hunt!