Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Medical (almost) ALL CLEAR

Last month I had a bit of a scare. I blogged about it late one night and then deleted it before anyone could read it.

My health history is not without it's little bumps here and there. I smoked from the time I was 13 until I was 30. I stopped smoking for 8 years, gained 50 lbs and started smoking again. Lost the 50 lbs, quit smoking and gained back the 50 lbs. I started smoking for the last time when Paul was deployed to Afghanistan. It was a way to relieve some of the stress of waiting for him to come home. It didn't help that my new next door neighbor was also a smoker. We'd spend quite a few mornings, smoking away on her balcony. It was great, but it couldn't last.

I quit for what I hope will be the last time July 2006.

I'm pretty sure you can see where this scare is leading.... During August I developed a recurring sore on my lower lip. At first I didn't really think too much about it. But early in September, I finally became aware that it just never really healed and went away. Then late one night, I found a lump in my right breast.

I have been spending the last couple of weeks having various tests done. The specific tests that have given me the "all-clear" is the mammogram and most of the blood work. While there is a "fatty tissue" lump in my breast, it is benign and not anything that needs to be removed or otherwise played with.

All my blood lab work came back normal, except one. The RBC is low and the doctor has some concerns about iron deficiency. He believes that this deficiency could be the cause of the lip irritation. So.. we are continuing tests to rule out that as the problem.

It'll be another couple of weeks before this next set of tests are done and I review them with the doctor, but since he never said the "c" word with respect to my lip, I'm gonna keep a positive outlook for these results.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Estela, glad to hear that the results are good. A couple more tests, and you'll be in the clear, I'm sure of it! I've had similar scares myself, most recently being told that I have the beginnings of emphysema. That was my wake-up call to quit, and Ken and I have been smoke-free for over 2 years! I gained 10 pounds, then lost a few, so probably a net gain of 7. I'd rather have a few extra pounds than still be smoking...I feel so much better.

Hugs, Beth

Linda said...

Oh Estela, I'm so glad your results were good....how scared you must have been waiting for them. I'll keep the remaining one in my prayers, and please post when you know anything. Congrats on kicking the smoking habit, I know how terribly hard that one can be for many people...YEAH YOU!!!

Love & Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Ericanbiloxi said...

Estela, I am happy that the results that came in were all good....surely this must have been so scarry for you.
Tell me that they did not have to put you on iron pills. Omg! those things make your tee tee stank summin fierce.

Anonymous said...

omg that is very scary! I too was a smoker from age 18 till 32, on and off anyway, breaking to have kids and then never really becoming a full time smoker again, just minor smoking towards the end, but I have had many many health scares not related to smoking. I had blood clots in my lungs following surgery and this was the end of smoking for me, because I finally finally finally realized, that my lungs were necessary for breathing! LOL I cant believe i never thought of that before but sometimes it takes some health scares to finally get healthy. Good luck to you and your Dr is probably right, you need iron is all!!!

Sherry said...

oh honey I had no clue , I know you are a strong woman but you if you ever need someone email or call me I am there for you .. keeping you in my prayers
hugs
Sherry
http://sherry-weightloss-journey.blogspot.com/